Happy Audrey Two Day!!!
"On the 21st day of the month of September, in an early year of a decade not too long before our own, the human race suddenly encountered a deadly threat to its very existence, and this terrifying enemy surfaced, as such enemies often do, in the seemingly most innocent and unlikely of places…"
aaaaand i’ve stumbled onto a bootleg of the out of town tryouts for the little shop revival…and it’s….interesting???
- hunter foster’s the same. i want to like him a lot more than i actually do, but he’s fine.
- alice ripley is weird in this part. her accent goes between full on-ellen-greene and this really really weird incomprehensible Adelaide-ish voice. i mean, she acts it fine, although she would not have been the first person i’d think of.
- billy porter as two-ie. huh. i guess it works? idk singing wise it definitely shakes up the music a bit…but i miss the deep voice. it’s way more threatening. it reminds me almost of like, eddie murphy in the shrek movies, doing lots of funny voices and affectations because he can? i mean, it gets the charismatic part, but the scary part is missing.
- the dentist is fine. not much to say about him.
- the trio is fine. there’s not much to do to fuck them up.
- OH MY GOD THE BEST PART IS LEE WILKOF. i love him all the time, but especially here. i think he might be my favorite mushnik.
- also these plants are different than bway, and they’re SOOOO MUCH BETTER. like, i guess they downgraded them in order to cut costs/puppeteers. but they remind me much more of the movie, lots of little nuances, able to stand up. the battle at the end was staged so much better since hunter foster didn’t have to awkwardly climb in to get eaten.
and how appropriate. it’s september 21st.